Home
Online Donations – THANK YOU

Online Donations – THANK YOU

7. June, 2020Blog, Home, Upcoming EventsNo comments

ADC7EEAC-F61C-4DC6-8122-B7CE1F557038

for donations to Our Lady of Lebanon Church please use this email address:

accounting@ourladyoflebanon.ca

*** *** *** *** ***

Alternatively, you can donate with your Credit Card, please click here.

*** *** *** *** ***

THANK YOU FOR YOUR GENEROSITY

Please make sure your full name is clear

to issue your tax receipts correctly

History of Our Lady of Lebanon Church buildings

History of Our Lady of Lebanon Church buildings

19. April, 2020Blog, Home, Upcoming EventsNo comments

From the Anglican Church of the Epiphany to Our Lady of Lebanon Maronite Church
In the story of the development of Anglican parishes in the west end of Toronto, many roads lead back to the parish of St. Anne’s, Brockton (now St. Anne’s, Gladstone). In 1876 (before St. Barnabas, Halton was carved out of the parishes of St. Anne’s and St. Matthias’), the mission parish of St. Mark’s was established. This parish, located to the south and slightly to the west of St. Anne’s on Cowan Avenue (just south of Queen) is what is known today as the Church of the Epiphany & St. Mark, Parkdale.
In 1887, a new parish was carved out of St. Mark’s — the Church of the Epiphany. The new parish, located just half a mile west of St. Mark’s, was created (at least in part) in response to residential growth in the village of Parkdale, which had recently been annexed by the city of Toronto. Epiphany’s first parishioners were from St. Mark’s, and their first meeting place was the Parkdale Masonic Hall (located at Queen and Dowling in a building which still exists and is now apartments). In September 1888, the first Church of the Epiphany was opened on a lot on the south-west corner of Queen Street and Beaty Avenue (west of Lansdowne).
The first building was not intended to be the long-term building used for worship, but rather was to be converted to Sunday school use after funds could be raised for a larger building. It sat 300 and was “an exceedingly plain building both in its exterior and interior.” The architects were Strickland and Symons of Aberdeen Chambers, Toronto. The original Church of the Epiphany still exists, and is now used as a parish school. Only its north facade can be easily seen as it is hemmed in on all other sides by housing and the rest of the church buildings. By 1910, the parish was strong enough to build its intended larger space, in order “to meet the future needs of a rapidly-growing district.” The corner stone was laid in 1910 and the parish moved into its new space on 31 March 1911. This building, with a seating capacity of 1000 or more, exists today. It was designed by Henry Bauld Gordon, who also was the architect of Church of the Messiah, Toronto and the parish hall at St. Anne’s, Gladstone. (A tower was part of the architectural design but never built.)
There was one more chapter in the history of Epiphany buildings with the addition of a parish hall in 1930. This space is also now used as part of the parish school. Its east facade is visible from Beaty Avenue. The history of the parish reflects the changing demographics of the neighbourhood. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, the neighbourhood was teeming with church-going Anglicans, enough to establish a massive new building such a short distance from St. Mark’s. By mid-century, there appears to be the signs of, or at least concern about, decline. By the 1960s, with demographic changes in the neighbourhood and societal changes at play, Epiphany seemed determined to survive.
Many parishioners no longer live in the parish but continue to return to keep the parish going and active. In the 1970’s there were conversations about amalgamation with its mother church, St. Mark’s, and St. Judes’ on Roncesvalles. Many parishioners no longer live in the parish but continue to return to keep the parish going and active. In the 1970’s there were conversations about amalgamation with its mother church, St. Mark’s, and St. Judes’ on Roncesvalles.
By the early 1980’s the parish community was small and the massive buildings in need of substantial repairs. On Palm Sunday 1983 the Church of the Epiphany held its final service. A decision was taken to sell the building and amalgamate Epiphany back into its mother parish of St. Mark’s. The funds from the sale were used to refurbish the buildings and the new, amalgamated parish of Epipany & St. Mark’s was born, 96 years after St. Mark’s had given birth to the Church of the Epiphany. The buildings were sold to the Maronite community, and began their new life as Our Lady of Lebanon Maronite Catholic Church.
Description of the church building from the archives of the City of Toronto:
The property at 1515 Queen Street West, known historically as the Church of the Epiphany, is identified for architectural reasons. It is an important feature of the south side of Queen Street West between Beaty Avenue and Wilson Park Road. There are three structures on the property. The original church was built in 1888, the second church in 1910-1911, and the Parish Hall in 1929. The latter two buildings, both erected according to the design of the Toronto architectural firm of Gordon and Helliwell. The first Church of the Epiphany was constructed in 1888 by the Toronto architectural firm of Strickland and Symons and is still situated on the southwest corner of the property. At the time of construction this church was not intended to be used permanently for divine service. It is no longer used by the congregation. The second Church of the Epiphany was erected on the northeast corner of the site. Constructed on a basilican plan and featuring elements of the Gothic Revival style, the brick church is highlighted by stone detailing. The main (north) elevation features raised, centrally placed double doors surmounted by a large tudor window containing perpendicular tracery. The east and west corners of this elevation have stepped angle buttresses. The northeast corner is marked by a 2-storey tower containing a side entrance. The east elevation is four bays in length and is marked by single stepped buttresses. Each bay contains a single raised basement window surmounted by a tudor arched window with perpendicular tracery. To the south, a transept arm contains two bays marked by large tudor arched windows. The west elevation has an aisle entrance, is five bays in length has a transept arm of two bays in width, and shares the fenestration and but east elevation. The clerestory contains tudor arched windows. The south elevation of the church features a large window which contains perpendicular tracery. A gabled and shed roof cover the various portions of the building. The church interior comprises a narthex, a nave with side aisles, and a raised chancel. The aisles are separated from the nave by an arcade consisting of slender columns. An open wooden beam roof covers the nave while lower wooden roofs cover the aisles. The church contains 19th Century stained glass windows executed by the Toronto firm of Robert McCausland Limited. Adjoining the southern elevation is a 2½-storey polygonal Parish Hall with a raised basement. The openings on the first and second stories have paired trefoil windows and are highlighted by stone sills and lintels. A polygonal roof covers the building.old church epiphany sketch
epiphany-1910-cornerstone
epiphany project - not completedepiphany old inside
Public Masses Cancelled Until Further Notice – Toronto in Lockdown

Public Masses Cancelled Until Further Notice – Toronto in Lockdown

14. March, 2020Blog, Home, Upcoming EventsNo comments

Due to provincial restrictions, effective Monday, November 23, 2020:
  • All Public Masses are cancelled until further notice.
  • Baptisms, Weddings and Funerals are restricted to 10 persons, including the priest(s).
  • The church is open for Private Prayer and/or Confessionsby appointment only.
  • All in-person meetings, gatherings and activities are also suspended at this time.
  • Mass will be broadcast Live every Sunday at 11:30AM on the parish Facebook Page (www.facebook.com/ololgta)
For updates, please visit our Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/ololgta
Stay safe and God bless!

toether at home

Fr. Walid El-Khoury: (416) 821-7070
Fr. Habib Tannoury: (416) 833-1540

Season of the Glorious Epiphany (Denho)

Season of the Glorious Epiphany (Denho)

27. December, 2019Blog, Home, Upcoming EventsNo comments

In our Maronite Church the “Season of the Glorious Epiphany (Denho)” begins on January 6th, on the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord. It is known in Syriac as Denho.

Maronites and many Eastern Christian churches celebrate the feast of the Epiphany of Jesus Christ, focusing on the Baptism of Jesus by St. John the Baptist. The Feast of the Epiphany of Our Lord is a major feast in our Eastern Tradition. The importance of Christ’s baptism is described in the Gospels of apostles Matthew, Mark, Luke and John and is the first manifestation of the Holy Trinity to mankind. Epiphany/Theophany comes from the Greek word “Theophania” which means appearance of God or manifestation of God.

An important part of the feast is the blessing of holy water, which signifies Jesus’ baptism in the Jordan River.

Our Heavenly Father Himself, with His mighty voice and with the assistance of the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove, said of His only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ, with these words, ‘This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased.’ God said these words while Jesus was standing in the Jordan River. And most of the people who gathered on the banks of the Jordan to hear the sermons of St. John the Baptist heard and observed this unique presentation, thus making this feast the first feast in the Christian church before Christmas was introduced as a separate feast, according to St. John Chrysostom.

Through baptism in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, we become the children of God and heirs of the heavenly kingdom. Only Holy Baptism can liberate us from the bondage of Original Sin, and the holy water possesses the power that casts away evil.

The Epiphany water is blessed with a lighted charcoal which signifies the fire of the Spirit who entered the Jordan River at Christ’s Baptism. In our Maronite liturgy, this is the meaning of the ritual of immersing the inflamed  charcoal in the water.  It is like mixing fire and water, the fire represents divinity and the water represents our life or the material world. Symbolically, when our Lord went into the water to be baptized by Saint John the Baptist, he sanctified the water, the essential element of life. The water symbolizes the origin of creation and of every  creature which is in need of sanctification through the Holy Spirit. This water is then sprinkled on the congregation by the priest reminding them of their own baptism in which they put on a  robe of Christ and were cleansed from their original sin. The water is also taken home and can be sprinkled or consumed so that the Holy Spirit may sanctify us and our material world submitting everything to the will of God.

In addition to Jesus’ baptism, Theophany in the some churches traditionally included the Nativity, the wedding feast at Cana, the visit by the Magi and the presentation of Jesus in the Temple as a child, all of which indicate in some way the manifestation of God on Earth.”

In Maronite culture many people wait to have their babies baptized and confirmed (chrismated) on or around Denho.

However, for all Syriac Christians, Denho is a time to reflect on the consequences of at least the first two stages of our Initiation, namely, what happened to us by being baptized (incorporation into the Church, the Body of Christ; and the door to life in the Holy Trinity being opened); and in Chrismation (Confirmation) and outpouring of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit (wisdom, knowledge, understanding, courage, counsel, piety and holy fear), leading us to experience the Fruit of the Holy Spirit (joy, peace, love, gentleness, self-control, patience, kindness, faith, etc.).”

photo cover- DINH

Saint Anthony the Great

Saint Anthony the Great

20. January, 2018Blog, Home, Upcoming EventsNo comments

Saint Anthony the Great is known as the father of monasticism. Born in Egypt in the third century, he was raised by pious Christian parents. After their deaths, he heard the parable of the rich young man in church, and decided to sell everything he had inherited and give it to the poor. He later departed to the desert to live in asceticism, and was victorious over the devil’s many  temptations. A community sprang up around him, and it became the model of Christian monasticism. Saint Anthony’s life and sayings were written by Saint Anthanasius, and his words continue to inspire and challenge us today. His feast is celebrated on January 17.

St. Anthony of the Desert (the Great) | Gambar, Doa, Tuhan